Saturday, March 31, 2012

Monthly Thoughts: March 2012

New monthly series, people: last day of each month will now be Monthly Thoughts day.  A day in which we recount our random thoughts from the preceding month.  So here's what crossed our minds in March:

Joker

I feel that getting a tattoo on your face is essentially saying, "I don't want a job that requires a college degree."

Zero to hero in no time flat?  Dan Brown's first three books - Digital Fortress, Angels & Demons, Deception Point - printed less than 10,000 copies each in their first printings.  Then The Da Vinci Code came out, hit the NYT Best Seller list in one week, and sold 81 million copies over 6 years.  81 million!  No wonder all of his books now say, "From the author who brought you The Da Vinci Code..."

I saw a guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty advertising tax service as "Fast.  Accurate.  Fun."  Fun?  Really?

I want to write a rap song about a steel-worker, just so I can use the line, "I got hot-ass swag / I got hot-ash slag"

Dear Taco Bell, I hear that it is pronounced the "five buck box."  However, your sign has printed "$5 buck box" which is technically pronounced "Five dollar buck box."  So make up your mind.

Prediction for the (hilarious) TV show Community: Since each season is one year at college, if they make it past season 4, ie, their 4th year, Jeff will have earned his needed degree.  I predict something will happen such that he is disbarred for X-amount of time and will grudgingly take a job as a law professor at Greendale.  Go Human Beings!  (I don't know what will happen with the rest of the cast - perhaps there will be a tragic accident or a strike of Greendale's administration and they will all take office/administration jobs there.  Or Shirley will open her bakery there.  And Troy coaches the football team.)

Judge

A concept art screenshot of Maxis' new SimCity title
Maxis (EA) is releasing a new SimCity game in 2013. I'm a big fan of simulation/strategy/design/management games, and so I'm obviously looking forward to it. A few of the more touted features are 'curvy' roads (rather than just grids and slants) and a new gameplay engine that appears to be incredibly realistic. City planners in training rejoice!

If you haven't already, check out Famous Paintings Improved by Cats. Though they're all pretty clever, my favorite is the first one, the Mona Lisa, if only because I could totally see her holding a cat like that during a portrait.

While I'm sure everyone is familiar with (sick of) tilt-shift pictures and videos, I found this series to be very interesting. The videos are all of high production value and use some clever scenes to get the viewer really into the "real world-as-miniature" focus.

The first game of the Major League Baseball 2012 season occurred Wednesday (morning) in Japan. It answered the question "if a season starts in a foreign country at 5am ET, and no one is around to watch it--does it really happen?" The answer is that, yes, it happened, but it sure didn't make a sound. Not only did the game between the Athletics and Mariners go largely unnoticed in the U.S., but the league immediately resumed pre-season play for the rest of the teams. Even more bizarrely, the rest of the regular season doesn't occur until April 4, when the Cardinals play the Marlins on "Opening Night." I'm sure there was a reason for the first series to take place a week in advance of the true season opening, but I'm not sure what it is.

Joules

On my way to work one day I stopped at a gas station (as I do every day) to pick up a couple of bottles of Gold Peak sweet tea to get me through the day.  However, on this particular morning they had run out of the sweet tea, but filled that empty row with the Gold Peak green tea from the adjacent two rows.  I guess this strategy is meant to confuse me and make me believe that there never was, in fact, any sweet tea in that spot, and that I must be going crazy.

On the rare occasion when I have trouble falling asleep, I go here and let the gentle voice of Mister Rogers lull me to sleep like a glass of warm milk.  In one particular episode (Sharing Can Be Hard), the concept of sharing is (obviously) emphasized, but Mister Rogers digs a little deeper and states that "Everybody has some things that they shouldn't have to share...If it's extra special to you, that's something that you shouldn't have to share."  In a society where seemingly everything we say/do is considered "politically incorrect," this sort of gray-area message is a breath of fresh air and reinforces the subjective nature of society that many like to sweep under the rug.  Not everything is a black-and-white right-or-wrong issue, and if everyone would look at issues from others' perspectives in addition to their own, the world would be much more intelligent for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment