Monday, March 5, 2012

Poor Grammer

Alot of people have alot of different pet peeves.  They can vary from whistling to animals-dressed-as-humans to improperly pronouncing it "supposably".  However, most of these annoyances are encountered in slim numbers and not very often.  One of my more bigger pet peeves is one that I, along with everyone else in the world, encounter on a daily hourly basis.  I am of course speaking about poor grammer.  Whether I hear it in a conversation or read it somewhere online, It brings out my inner grammer nazi.  As soon as I read "...that's there dog...", you can practically see a swastika taking form on my face.  A swastika composed of apostrophes and commas.

Dont get me wrong, I'm by no means a master of the english language, but their are certain basic rules that everyone has been taught at some point in time - whether by a parent or an english teacher or a pretentious classmate - that should stick with you and form the foundation of everything you speak or write for the rest of your life that you just shouldn't forget because its not that hard to remember and I dont know if its lazyness or unintelligence that causes it but it does bother me when people ignore these basic dictional and syntaxical decencies like improper "punctuation" and run-on sentences...

www.toothpastefordinner.com

(I suppose whats even more aggrevating is poor spelling, but fortunately you dont encounter that faux-pas of the english language as often.  Its curtailed by SpellCheck - that infamous red-underline - and the fact that you dont have to spell your words when your speaking outloud.  Unless your talking in front of a b-a-b-y.)

One of the most frequent of these misgrammerizations is the there/they're/their problem.  Obviously, the root of this problem is due to homophones.  (Not that I'm word-bashing or anything.  I just dont think homophones should be getting married.)  They all sounds the same, so (some) people assume there all used the same.  This homophone problem is only exacerbated by the fact that our world is trending less towards writing words and more towards seeing images.  Entertainment and even teaching is continually going in the direction of less books and more films and videos - a medium in which the proper use of "theiy're" is unnecessary.  And even what little composition we still do outside of school or work - ie, the internet, texting, etc - we abbreviate er'thing and take liberties and shortcuts w/ our words, not the least of which is "theiy're."

I'm sure their are other frequent homophone mix-ups two, but I cant think of any write now.

Apostrophes, commas, and other, punctuation mistakes, are quite rampant, as well?  And we can round out my complaints with who/whom and sentences where prepositions are improperly put in.  But I'm not going to belabor the point because the ire of one internet-person will not be enough to out-do the workings of generations of certified and degree-ified professional instructors of the english language.  If you dont get it now, then you probably wont ever.  I'm just imploring you - when speaking or writing, take an extra second and ask yourself if your making the correct grammer choices.  After all, english is your first language (I'm assuming).  Try not to butcher it.


[I apologize for the inflicting the preceding post upon you.  I hope it vexed you as much as it vexed me.  I consider it my comedic version of grammatical-flagellation.  If it makes you feel any better, I'll give you 5 free internet points for each error you spot.  Free internet points!]

1 comment:

  1. That was some heavy trolling...you had me going for a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete